Sunday, October 18, 2015

Why I chose this lens


Out of every single type of lens I chose to do the psychoanalytical lens so because of the fact of how interesting the human mind is. In a fictional novel the limits are endless as to why a character could be acting the way they are and the reasoning as to why that would make sense. In a world where our reasoning can’t be questioned or brought up because of a former experience and really know that your actions are justified would be a world where people could do whatever they wanted. Perhaps even without it there wouldn’t be lessons to be learned because we don’t know what could’ve caused it. My prior knowledge to this lens and topics covered by it is pretty dense, taking an AP course which covered this lens has surely helped myself in understanding the book and the work done here. But I don’t think when it came to this lens I ever put much thought into it. It was always done more out of habit rather than because I knew it was a strong reading strategy. I’ve always thought of what background a protagonist in a novel might have had in order to justify their actions, it creates a mood and really an understanding for that character. Personally I feel as if though when a piece of literature or anything is covered by this type of lens you are able to see it through a whole different perspective. A different lens I had considered was the Marxist lens because it gave a new perspective upon why a person’s actions could be justified. A different upbringing might have influenced how different characters behave with one another & a shift in setting can cause different reactions. Out of this project I’d hope to be able to practice my ability of lens on different pieces of literature and ultimately strengthen my reading by the end of it. There isn’t just one thing that I could earn by the end of this project, whether it bettered my reading comprehension or simply made me enjoy the book more because my mind is going to different places than it might have without doing this project. All in all I am fully committed to this project and am looking forward to completing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment