Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Article vs. My Arguments about “Beloved”

Based on the article that I have read I want to argue about 3 points that appeared in that article. First is about the theme of Toni Morrison’s Beloved novel. Second is about why Toni Morrison chose those theme and the last is the relation between the theme and psychoanalytical lens. I want to argue about those 3 points wether I agree or disagree and before I write my arguments I will write an analysis about those 3 points that I have mentioned before.
Toni Morrison’s Beloved novel is kind of novel which is not following the order of the events because it starts from the middle event and turn into the past. That is why the theme of the Toni Morrison’s Beloved novel is about someone who can not runaway from her past, about someone who can not move on from her past and about someone who always keep thinking of her past. I think it is because the character had a bad experience in the past which caused her always thinking about it and caused her memories of her bad experience is still attached in her brain. For Sethe, once a thing happens it always exists in her brain. Beloved is the only reason for Sethe proven by " '. . . nothing ever dies,' " (36) that is why Sethe could not runaway from her past, the memory will always lives and turns into a fear which continues to haunt her. Whenever she discussed something new that related to her daughter “Beloved” she always caught on into flashback, take the past memories again and it makes this novel is more complicated because after the story is flash forward it will turn into flashback in sudden. To support this theme Toni Marrison was never explained directly every single events that caused something happened. The reader is need to be patient and keep reading every single pages until the reader find what actually causes something to happen in the past. The porposes are to make the reader curious about what going to happen in the next, also want to make the reader does not getting bored easily with the story and the last is Toni Morrison want to make the reader want to read until the end. Thus, the reader will find any causes that was arise on the story based on the character’s experiences in the past. For example, Sethe initially tells Paul D that her daughter died but does not tell him (or us) how (10), the second example is when Sethe first tells Paul D about schoolteacher's arrival at 124 Bluestone (42), she mentions that she was going to jail but she does not tell him (or us) why. I’m agree with the theme that Toni Morrison used in this novel because it makes the novel is more challenging to read and makes me always curious with what will be happen on the next pages.

Based on the theme that I have already mentioned before, Toni Morrison was made this novel is little bit complicated. She does not want to make the readers being confused and make the readers have a really hard time to understand her novel. Eventhough this novel is lil bit complicated but I agree with the way of Toni Morrison wrote her story because I think she did this because she wanted to make this novel more detail, clarify every single events and make sure that every single events that the character had ever experienced is including to the story so the reader can feel what the character felt at that time and also Toni Morrison used flashback and flash forward to tell all of the details of the story so there will be no any stories that is not conveyed and nothing to be missed. It makes easier to deliver the story to the reader because the story is very detail.

Relating the theme that I already mentioned before with psychoanalytical lens that I have observed recently is Sethe used her inner thoughts whenever Sethe remembered her past. When Sethe want to tell the truth about what actually was going to Paul D she used her inner thoughts wether she is ready or not to tell him everything because she knows that she will be remembered her past. Sethe used her id and ego before she killed Beloved and she used her superego when she decided to kill Beloved. Beloved also used her inner thoughts when she decided to go back to her family as a ghost. “A fully dressed woman walked out of the water” (60) from this passage I can estimate that Beloved used her inner thoughts, id, ego and superego before she walked out of the water. I find it easy to analyse my lens based on the theme and the way of Toni Morrison wrote her story. I agree with everything that she already done in this novel because it makes me easier to find everything about my lens.

I read an article of Pihilip Page about Beloved novel. In this article, Philip Page more focused on what is in the mind in every characters through psychoanalytical lens and analyze the passage with the inner thoughts based psychoanalytical lens. This article is also more detail because Philip Page give an evidence by the sentences that prove from the novel "Beloved". So in every single analysis that he made is reliable. Compared with my article's argument that I have made is I was more focused on the theme analysis supported by an evidence of each passage. I think my article's argument is also quite reliable.








No comments:

Post a Comment